Click here to skip to main content.
 
Level [click link to see this collection in full] Collection
Catalogue Finding Number 23D98
Title ESHOLT CUM GUISELEY MANOR COURT ROLLS AND RELATED DOCUMENTS (23D98)
Description The following archive consists of Court rolls for the Manor of Esholt cum Guiseley 1596-1718 and related documents 1675-1788; a memorandum book of Sir Walter Calverley 1717-1750; papers regarding Yeadon tithes, mill, rabbit warrens and other properties 1565-1705 and a survey of the Manor of Idle 1584 with related documents 1630-1878.

The documents are believed to have been rescued from Esholt Hall.

Some of the documents had been sorted and numbered prior to deposit. Papers relating to Yeadon had at some point been sorted into four series (A-D) and numbered in pencil. The documents relating to Idle Manor had been sorted and listed by local historian, Dr E White, into four series (I-IV). Both these arrangements have been retained in the current listing. Notes on the Idle Manor documents by Dr E White have been listed as 23D98/8/30.

Following the dissolution of the Priory of Esholt in 1540 the site was granted to Henry Thompson, one of Henry VIII's gentlemen-at-arms. It remained in the Thompson family for more than a century when it was transferred to the Calverley family through the marriage of Frances, daughter of Henry Thompson, to Sir Walter Calverley. His son, also Sir Walter Calverley, married Julia the daughter of Sir Walter Blackett in the early 18th century. Sir Walter Calverley died in 1749 and left a son who took the name Blackett. In 1755 he sold the manor house at Esholt to Robert Stansfield of Bradford. The Esholt Estate was purchased from Robert Stansfield by the Bradford Corporation at the turn of the twentieth century to form the site of the Esholt Sewage works.

See William Cudworth, 'Round About Bradford' pp.418-422 for a brief history of the Esholt Manor and Estate.

Including Manor of Esholt cum Guiseley court rolls 1596-1718, presentments 1675-1679, field book 1708 and survey of Manor 1788; Sir Walter Calverley's memorandum book re his properties 1717-1750; papers re Yeadon tithes 1565-1705; papers re Yeadon Mills and rabbit warrens 1630-1689; papers re Yeadon Manor and related properties 1564-1699; papers re King's rent on properties in Yeadon late 16th century-1654; Idle Manor survey 1584 and related rental books 1630-1714; miscellaneous documents re Idle Manor 1614-1878 with printed copy of 1813 Idle enclosure map and plan 1878, notes on Idle documents by Dr E White 1997
Date 1565-1997
Extent 0.07/3 boxes and 1 item
Subject MANORIAL RECORDS
ENCLOSURE
Location of Archive Bradford GB 202
Access_Status Open
Administrative history Following the dissolution of the Priory of Esholt in 1540 the site was granted to Henry Thompson, one of Henry VIII's gentlemen-at-arms. It remained in the Thompson family for more than a century when it was transferred to the Calverley family through the marriage of Frances, daughter of Henry Thompson, to Sir Walter Calverley. His son, also Sir Walter Calverley, married Julia the daughter of Sir William Blackett in the early 18th century. Sir Walter Calverley died in 1749 and left a son who took the name Blackett. In 1755 he sold the manor house at Esholt to Robert Stansfield of Bradford. The Esholt Estate was purchased from Robert Stansfield by the Bradford Corporation at the turn of the twentieth century to form the site of the Esholt Sewage Works.

See William Cudworth, 'Round About Bradford' pp.418-422 for a brief history of Esholt Manor and Estate.

Some of the documents had been sorted prior to deposit. Papers relating to Yeadon had at some point been sorted into four series (A-D) and numbered in pencil. The documents relating to Idle Manor had been sorted and listed by the local historian, Dr E White, into four series (I-IV). Both these arrangements have been retained in the current listings. Notes on the Idle Manor documents have been listed as 23D98/8/30.
Custodial History Documents believed to have been rescued from Esholt Hall.
Places
Code Set
NA4689 ESHOLT/ESHOLT/OTLEY/YORKSHIRE WEST RIDING
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010